SEND at Meadow Vale
"By setting suitable learning challenges, responding to pupils’ diverse needs and overcoming potential barriers to learning, the school has developed an inclusive curriculum. The majority of pupils make progress within this inclusive curriculum without additional support.
We seek to include children with special educational needs and disability (SEND) into mainstream education through the appropriate training, strategies and support. We provide a differentiated curriculum to meet the needs of the child."
Nicola Cotter is our SENCo (Special Educational Needs Coordinator).
Nicola oversees the provision for children with special educational needs and disability (SEND) within school. She works closely with the Senior Leadership Team, the Family Support Advisor, teaching staff and parents to identify pupils that may have additional needs and ensure their needs are met through an inclusive curriculum. Parents can contact Nicola either directly through the school office or via their child's classteacher if they wish to discuss any concerns.
At Meadow Vale, we pride ourselves on responding to the individual needs of pupils and offer a wide range of interventions to support pupils with SEND. These include:
- Booster classes in English and Maths
- Nurture room facility
- Social skills groups
- Self esteem groups
- Reading support
- D Club - supporting gross and fine motor skills
- Small group Phonics interventions
- Before school academic support
- Individual Speech and Language sessions
- Maths support groups
We also work with outside specialist agencies and professionals in order to gain expert advice, assessment and support. These include:
- Educational Psychologists
- Teachers for the hearing impaired
- Teachers for the visually impaired
- CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health service)
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Behaviour Support Team
- Autistic Spectrum and Social Communication Team (ASSC)
- Support for learning - providing specialist teaching and assessment in English and Maths
As a school we provide a range of resources in order to ensure our pupils are able to access the curriculum.